Sunday, October 10, 2010

Balloon Fiesta & Ruthie

Last Saturday Balloon Fiesta finally began, we've been looking forward to this since moving here!
For the opening ceremonies someone Aaron works with invited us over to see the balloons from his house. The sunrise was gorgeous but unfortunately the balloons flew the other direction and all we saw was a bunch of little specs. I kept thinking, "I got up at 5:00am for this?"
Oh well, their house was beautiful, the fire was warm, and the company fabulous. And my pumpkin cinnamon rolls? Yum-O!






Next, was home to shower and conference, and to get food ready for a little shower at the park for Casey who should have welcomed her baby boy today...


That evening Daddy went to Priesthood session of General conference, the girls and I went to pick up Ruthie from the airport. YEA! We've been anticipating her visit for weeks.
Sunday was waffles, hanging around the house, conference, a long walk. That evening we went down to the field for the evening glow but before it got dark, there were clouds, thunder and lightening. Balloons had to come down. :(
I was not on top of pictures the rest of the week.
But here are a few highlights...
Balloons from our backyard.:

A trip to Santa Fe:
Eating at Cafe Pasqual


The Basilica



Lots of cooking:
By far our favorite: Tikka Masala.
Let me know if you want the recipe!
We got up well before the Sun to see Wednesday morning's mass ascension. We got to the fields by 5:30 to see the dawn patrol take off in the dark. The dawn patrol are a few balloons who take off first to test the winds and conditions, making sure it is safe for the rest of the balloons.
Pictures cannot even remotely portray the beauty of hundreds and hundreds of balloons taking flight.

Before we knew it, her visit was over and it was time to head back to the airport. We were dipping cookies right up to the very second we walked out the door to catch her flight.

5 comments:

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

be-utiful! can't wait until we can really come and see for ourselves!! glad you had the bird. <3

TheKeilShpeel said...

I know.. we want to come too sometime.. what a fun few days with Birdie.

KickButtMommy said...

Great week. Beautiful pictures!

lizandfrankfamily said...

I totally want your recipe for chicken masala because that's one of my faves and I see if you can score the recipe for pumpkin rolls. Those do sound delish! Can we come visit you next year for the balloon fest? I have a cousin who lives in Albuquerque as well so I could see you and her and our babes could play and play and play. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Okay so next year I want to be there to see the baloon fiesta, how fun and so gorgeous...so I am inviting our family...how long will it take us to get there? Also, I would love your chicken masala recipe, we love chicken masala! Looks like you are enjoying New Mexico!