Thursday, October 22, 2009

Murmuring...

Last Wednesday when Madeleine woke up from her nap and her little body was on fire. I took her temperature and it was 104.8, GASP! The raging fever continued through Friday and although she had no other symptoms and Motrin would knock it right out, after 48 hours of it, I wanted to error on the side of caution. We called the doctor but she was out of town so they sent me to her back-up, it was just a virus (always!) but he asked what our doctor thought of her heart murmur. "Uh, What? She doesn't have one." He said he absolutely heard one and they can be brought on by fevers (because the body has to work extra hard putting off all that heat) but at the time she'd had Motrin so was her fever was down. He said to make sure we talked Dr. Kasel about it.

It was a slightly disconcerting but I knew it was somehow related to the fever, plus kids have harmless murmurs all the time. And, she had an Echo done the day after she was born because her PDA did not close right away. So, her heart is fine.

Let me just give a shout out to Dr. Kasel's office. She was out of town at a conference and her office manager called back at 7:00pm Friday night to say that she had gotten a hold of her in Boston to ask her how she wanted to handle it. Who does that? Seriously awesome. She thought it was probably fever related, give her a couple of days to get better and have us come in.

We followed up yesterday, I thought for sure it would be gone but nope. We see a Cardiologist on 11/13 for another Echo.

Wish us luck. Madeleine can't stand for me to hold her still to change her diaper let alone this!

7 comments:

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

thoughts & prayers, hugs & kisses being sent your way. can you feel 'em?!?! :)

Kelly said...

Good Luck! I feel your pain! Prayers will be said for Madeleine and mom.

Erin said...

I hope it goes well! May God bless you all.

Kim said...

I second your shout out to Dr. Kasel. It's quite possible that Natalie would not be here if we had been seeing some regular HMO Dr. when she was a baby. That woman doesn't mess around.

Poor mom and M though. I'm sure she'l be good though.

KickButtMommy said...

Poor girl. I hope she is ok.

Melanie said...

Love that baby girl, and you too! I am looking forward to (hopefully) seeing you both and Miss Noelle this week.

just2Bjulie said...

Ugh. The 13th can not come too quickly. I'll keep her in my prayers until then.....