Saturday, November 14, 2009

Murmuring Update

Yesterday we went and saw the Pediatric Cardiologist (Dr. Leong) to have Madeleine's murmur checked.

She is 100% healthy and her health is NOT being affected by any of this. It will require some follow up.

She has two things going on: First off she has a small leak in her Mitral Valve. No biggie. Common. Second: As I mentioned before when she was born her PDA failed to close right away, it was still open when they did an echo, still could be heard at one week, and could no longer be heard by two weeks. But, Dr. Leong could see on the echo that it is not completely closed. Again, it is a very small narrowing and not affecting her at all but it is very uncommon for this to happen.

These things just cause her heart to be a little less efficient. Say for example it is causing 1% of her blood volume to leak out where it is not supposed to. Let's also say that her heart should beat at 100 beats per minute but now has to beat at 101 bpm to make up the difference. This will not cause any negative affects at this point.

He spent a lot of time talking to me gave me loads and loads of information that I will spare you all. We will go back in 6 months to make sure they have gone away or stayed the same.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Alright, now that I know this stuff I can admit how much I have been thinking about you and the little princess. So happy to hear that your little one is good and it is just something to keep an eye on. Lovin' you!

KickButtMommy said...

Glad that for now it is manageable!

just2Bjulie said...

You've been on my mind and in my prayers...thanks for the update.