Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Dang Thyroid

The Blood Pressure medicine seemed to not be working because my numbers were staying about the same. I have even had some crazy high numbers after a couple really busy days. So, on Friday I saw the nurse practitioner at my OB's office and she pretty much blew me off. She did mention that my thyroid lab had come back low in passing. It is so frustrating that my doctor is gone!!! Meanwhile, my Aunt Lorrie works with a cardiologist and she ran my case by him and he felt that this matter needed more attention. So he had a total lab work up done and it is a good thing he did.

My thyroid has completely gone crazy. The thyroid is a very complicated thing so it can be confusing, but this is the short of it. It is not producing enough of the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, therefore, my levels of T3 and T4 are SEVEN times the normal level. This is then causing my kidneys to malfunction, thus, high blood pressure. And my hemoglobin was low so we get to add anemia to this whole mess!

So there was a few moments of craziness last night when we were figuring out if I should just go to the emergency room or what. But I was not having major symptoms of what they call a "thyroid storm" so it was safe to wait until morning. We got a blood pressure cuff at home for me to keep checking, I doubled up on the medicine and stayed in bed. I go to my OB's office first thing this morning and they will send me to see an endocrinologist and this whole thing should get taken care of. Once the thyroid gets in check everything else will fall into line, also.

So let's just say a little prayer that our baby is doing well and this will all be behind us. If Aaron says one more time that we are not having any more kids, I might punch him! :)

8 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Elizabeth, I was wondering why we hadn't seen you in a while. Call if you need anything. I will totally babysit or whatever for you. We will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about all that. We'll pray for you and little tiny baby. I hope the meds get you back on track. We're thinking about you...

xoxo

Denise Stears said...

Sorry you are going through all of that, I hope you get better soon. It's amazing what a tiny little being can do to your body. Don't worry about Aaron, all men stress out over every thing. I hear you might be coming for the 4th of July. That would be awesome. I hope you decide to come, I want to see you guys again.

Rosey Posey said...

Hey Elizabeth... I'm sorry your thyroid is acting up. Let me know if you need ANYTHING! I can come over and Evey and Noelle can play while you get some rest. Even is you just need a extra hand. I'll call you to see how you are doing. Your family is in our prayers. Much love- Rose

Jo said...

I had no idea you were having these problems. Of course, I am here if you need anything and you are definately in our prayers.
Love you!

Melissa said...

Take care of yourself and definitely punch Aaron for me too. You are the best mom and should have lots of beautiful little ones (health permitting). I sure hope this baby doesn't think this is the way to make him/herself known! Love ya!

Pam said...

I am so sorry to hear what your going through. The thyroid is a pain in the butt, I have had my own problems. Good luck with all of that and we will be praying for you and your little one!

leslie coppin said...

I hope you start feeling better soon. I've had a couple friends with thyroid problems and once they started the medication things went back to normal.